Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ah, spring really is near!

You may not know it yet, but Spring has arrived. Maybe not according to the calendar. But according to my very reliable source, it is Spring. Time to wake up and get busy prepping for another season of eating and digging and eating and peeping and eating... and eating some more.


My husband and I bought our first house 3 years ago in an established neighborhood. I'm not talking about the houses that surround us, but rather, the established underground neighborhood above which we live.

We moved into the house in April and quickly discovered that we didn't own the plot of land that came with it. No sir. This plot of land belongs to the groundhogs and they are not handing it over. In fact, they don't much care to share it. The first year, having no experience with groundhogs, we attempted to fill in holes throughout the yard only to discover a bigger hole with a larger mound of dirt in its place the next day. (How dare we block their entrances and exits!?!) Lesson learned. Soon afterwards, we planted our very first flower garden which included my husband's favorite - sunflowers. Well, we quickly learned that they are a favorite among groundhogs too. Now we stick to marigolds and dahlias and simply buy peanuts and carrots to keep them well-fed and happy.

If you think we're complaining, you're wrong. We absolutely adore our groundhogs and allow them rule the roost. Our yard looks like a minefield in the summer and we continue to learn what we can and cannot do on their property. Last summer, we welcomed a family of 6 babies which provided non-stop entertainment and enjoyment! (These are 2 siblings enjoying peanuts last year.)

We hope more are on the way this year. :)

Quick facts: http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/groundhog.html

3 comments:

  1. just stumbled on your blog. I loved the pictures of the Groundhogs. I will come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by - I just started this blog as you can see. I will have lots more pictures as the weather gets warmer. These guys are so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I am in the Pacific North West but I WANT to live in the South. Trying to pursuade the hubby to move one day. Our daughters Godfather is from Louisiana and he says that all the time!

    ReplyDelete


oh boy... looks like I woke up too early.