Saturday, June 27, 2009

A fox is in town

Yes that's right, a FOX. I saw a red fox sniffing around not too far from the main groundhog entrance last week. I was stunned, as I've never seen a fox that close. My husband saw him again last night and chased him away. I don't want him anywhere near my groundhogs.

Mama and the 5 babies have not been around since last week and I suspect she moved them to a safer location. I don't know for sure - I've tried to find some information about groundhogs moving their young if they sense danger, but haven't found anything yet.

We do have one groundhog that has stuck around and I'm going to make sure he is safe. I'm tossing food as near to his hole as possible. Sure, they are speedy little critters but outrunning a fox might be tough. I miss the wee ones and hope they are okay.

1 comment:

  1. I have a couple I have discovered have made my yard their new home. I had moved for a couple years and when I returned I realized I had a pair living here. I put corn on the cob out for them and also asparagus. I hope they like it

    ReplyDelete


oh boy... looks like I woke up too early.